Monday, September 15, 2014

Placebo are my meds for everything - Interview with Chrysa Galindou about the Athens gig - LLL Tour 2014



LLL Placebo European Tour Special 2014 – Interview with our soulmate Chrysa Galinidou from Greek in collaboration with Placebo Anyway.
Interview by SusanneCk Diana E.T.Foghin.

Pictures almost all by Chrysa Galinidou with her own words: "For a special friend"

Placebo Anyway: Nice to have you here for this interview!! Before we start with the concert details, we would like to know a little bit more about you... When did you discover the band and why did you become a fan?

Chrysa Galinidou: Nice to be here,thank you!
Well,when I first heard them I was totally into different genre of music,completely immature musically I must say, except the classic music which was always on in our house.
Anyway,when I heard Bruise Prestine, I was so impressed kind of shoked by the uniqueness and twisted creativity of the vid and sound that it teased my curiosity but I didn’t go farther for them till I heared Pure Morning and I said ‘’oh, them again, that’s interesting!’’ ….and yet, I left it at this till I heard my beloved The Crawl and then I said okay,that’s it…think I’m in love with them!!!
Placebo Anyway: Speaking about the gig some of us watch the live stream while some watched it live. How was it for you?
Chrysa Galinidou: Livestream is like a party to me, I loose completely the track of time ,everything just vanishes nothing matters anymore, it’s just me merging  into their captivating sound. I can observe the details of the performance more clear than if I were actually there watching them rockin’ on stage, but definitely nothing can compare to the feeling being there sweating with them for them. It is a kind of pure high. I was totally overwhelmed by their perfect clear sound this year attending the gig in Athens watching Brian revealing all the passion, the variety, the complexity and the tension of the human emotions…it was  just awe-inspiring. They complitely took us away with them. We were very close to Brian watching his feelings unfolding right in front of us…it felt like we were completely possessed by every single sound they made. The collective euphoria was so perceptible that it brought chills to my skin at times, it was so bewitching, like somekind of ultimate revelation of truth of something really essential…well yeah, it was, because that are the moments you realize that the happiness is all about living the moment with all that you got inside…
Placebo Anyway: What about the set list/lighting what is the difference between a festival and a small venue? Do you think they could change the songs more often?What can you tell us about the lighting during LLL tour? we have seen it is quite different.

Chrysa Galinidou: The difference between the festival and a small venue is essetial. My preference are small venues, it feels more cosy just like their sound, feels like home, you know ?! ;) The set list is something that no fan is ever totally okay with it, because there are variety of people, variety of stories they are living, so they might connect  more with some songs other that are in a particular set list. But I never cared much about it really because I’m in love with their whole freakin awesome work. Their sound is perfect to my years and since they chose the songs according to their perception to stay truthfull to their own feelings and connection to the particular songs I totally support their option. Although, I definitely would love to hear the songs I ‘ve missed from them in their live shows, such as Peeping Tom ,Days Before You Came,This Picture, Second Sight, of course Bruise Prestine, The Crawl and Without You I’m Nothing. Songs that made me love them.
The lightening was great(blue mostly maybe because it is a color of Greece who knows ) too dark often,  but I’m a fan of a daylight anyway when it comes to Placebo,so…   
Placebo Anyway : Comparing some of the new versions of the songs, for example there has been some changes in Space Monkey, and a tiny difference in RUTH , since you heard them live what can you tell us about it?
Chrysa Galinidou: We all know that Placebo love to remake or make small changes especially in the songs that they’ve played often. It keeps them interested to continue playing them. I guess, as Brian said in an interview this year ‘’I have a light disfuncional relation to my owncreations.’’ Don’t know if it sound objective but I love everthing they do. They make perfect music in my opinion. They are perfectionists, nothing they do seems to be random (.. except their videos sometimes! ;) Loved the LLL and Hold On To Me piano versions a lot. 
They always surprise me with their acoustic versions they are really good at it and they know it. So I hope for more of such versions. As for RUTH I can remember when we were in Athens attending their gig we asked guys infront of as to make as a favore to let us   move even more closer to the second row right in front of Brian just for this song to see him perfoming this masterpiece...it was magestic. One of the best moments of the gig. He was so into it, so honest and genuene  that I almost felt what he feels at that right moment.
Placebo Anyway :  Did the boys say anything in Greek? If so, what and how is their pronunciation?
Chrysa Galinidou: That was a really amusing part of the gig, because Brian’s pronunciation in Greek reminded me imedienly the way he speaks in Spanish! After the For What It’s Worth he said ''Thank you, hello Athens'' in Greek,''Mithos'' then continued in English ‘’The birth place of democracyyyyyy. We are Placebo from London, England and we come with love and friendship.Tonight we are loud like loooove.’’
We started screamimg to encourage him to say more. Right after the Every Me Every You and before the One of The Kind he said euxaristo (thank you in Greek) with puting the tone on the wrong letter which made him sound funny but he got it right the last time after the Infra Red when he said euxaristoooo Athinaaaa!!! in greek. He continued with Enlish saying ''Will see you soon babies. It’s been far too long thank you so much for such a warm welcome, what a beautyfull place to plaaaaay !!! ( it was indeed because he had an amazing view of the the crowd that was worshiping him and the sea right behind it) Peace and friendship all the way !!!''         
Placebo Anyway : What was your favorite part of the gig? And why?
Chrysa Galinidou: Oh,a favorite part…wow, that’s a tough one since every single moment of the gig was a pure ecstasy honestly! Well, an amazing part of the gig is always the intro for me. When you feel the first chill feeling  tense and enthusiasm growing inside of you fast. They are somekind of drug that’s for sure! He was very touched, when before the Meds. When we one by one one gradually faster and faster started to shout with all the strength of our voices ‘’Placebo’’,  he stood  for a moment lowered his eyes, moved closer, smiled with content and gave us a bow we started shout louder and then the first riffs started to play … .
Loved when while singing the Post Blue he was making ‘’funny’’ gestures with his fingers. Even my friend who is not much fan of them wordered why he does this and I said ‘’Don’t wonder just enjoy, honey ,it’s a Molko thing. Nobody knows where it comes from.’’
 Placebo Anyway: And about the cameras we all know Brian hates them. But people want their memory to last forever in a jpg format or in you tube and claim they can multi task just fine.  Do you think they will ever be an agreement on this matter? or a reconciliation between Molko and his fans?
Chrysa Galinidou:  Well. It is almost imposible for a huge fan not to take any pictures or vid. For me it was imposible, though to record a vid over a 10 seconds. I couldn’t ressist the intensity and the evalenge of their sound. It completely was taking me over all the way.
I don’t see them as often as I wish, so I try to live every single moment of their gig as fully as I can. Moreover I loose the track of time when im at their gigs. Nothing matters anymore no past no future. It’s just me and them giving our best we have inside of us. Exchanging the energy of our emotions.
Greeks are not much of recording or taking pictures of the gigs as far as I know the same I noticed in this particular gig too. Don’t think that Placebo (Brian) will ever come into terms on this issue They love the exchange of the huge flowing energies with us rather than us watching then through the little screens.
 Their attitude towards their audience  is pretty much the same  from the start of their carreer it’s just more obvious now that Brian is not that energetic, not dosed with various uplifting substances and not giving much interviews.
I’ve noticed that they will take the pictures with the fans from the big countries that adore them and are really warm for example  Mexico or Russia. 
He also might have gotten tired of talking to fans, hearing exciting coments like ‘’you are amazing’’ or ‘’love you Brian’’ etc.
Since he has done it so many times through all these years, he must even assume what his fans will say and it might get kinda annoying and frustrating especialy after putting his heart and soul on the stage talking/comunicating with his fans through his music and I guess he prefers this kind of comunication. It seeems more essentual and comfortable for him. Don’t know just guessing.
 Placebo Anyway: We know this is not your first Placebo gig. Comparing old gigs with this tour regarding the energy of the show ( since is one of the things that has been critized about the band) do you see any difference?
Chrysa Galinidou: Yes, I can see what you mean… they was in a very good  mood but they are always like that when they come in Athens.
Placebo Anyway : What about Molko’s interaction with the audience? What do you think is the reason for this change?
Chrysa Galinidou: Everyone evolve in their own special way. He must realized what do he really wants from his life. Doing things he need to. Getting interested in some certain things. Being effected by them everyday like reading, travelling, family, responsibilities etc. and he must gotten tired of partying all these years…
Placebo Anyway: Did you meet someone of Placebo?
Chrysa Galinidou: Yes, I did all of them!…In the plenty of my wildest dreams! 
Placebo Anyway: Let us speak about Placebo fans. What do you think about “Soulmates Never Die”. Does it really exist for Placebo fans? And what about the Greek Placebo fans. Which difference do you see between them and other fans?

Chrysa Galinidou: Yes,soulmates are soulmates since and as long as their inner essential for them parts of themselves stay connected and as much as both of them are willing to cherish it  and preserve this connection, even if they are far away or had to move away.
I will borrow the quote of a man I admire, Russel Brand “I missed him, of course, but sometimes close friendships have a tidal beat that pulls you towards different shores though the ocean that connects you remains.”
Well Greek fans are passionate, loud, warm, very expressive, really know how to enjoy a concert. We make gestures according to lyrics.  For instance, I recall when Brian was singing  Space Monkey at the part he was saying ‘’we are sown together she’s born to mesmer’’ or during the Infra Red  ‘’it’s between you and me’’ we all extended  our hands towards them while shouting the lyrics out loud. I think it is all about the idiogracy of people and the way they use express themselves .
Placebo Anyway: Do you think Placebo fans criticize the band too much? After all some people have even complaining about everything even Molko's clothes on stage.
Chrysa Galinidou: Yes,Placebo fans are truelly fanatics. I guess it is natural.Tthese guys create  an exceptional music, they make music, some kind of religion and the listening to them is a ritual especially live it becomes an experience of a strong unforgettable spiritual collective euphoria.
A tremendous exchange of energies not only between the band, but also you can sense the vibration of the people around you with the same adoration that you have for them…it made me so touched ones when I looked around when I was in Rome that I cried smilling. Amazing moments. Moments when you feel so connected with people that you start to wish it was always like that…
And since we know everything that they let us know about them and since we adore them that much we want them to stay with us forever, so I think that when they are not that energetic or down to earth we perceive it as a hint that they gonna leave us.
At least that’s how I feel. Also most of us don’t see them live as often as we would like to, so we want everything to be perfect! I don’t really mind about his clothes, I really like his aproach towards this part, he wears anything that makes him feel comfortable and it is really nice to know that ;)
He never betrey himself and what he really wants in order to be appealing to others.He stood true to himself all these years and that’s why we love him. Placebo are honest and genuine and that’s why we adore them.
Placebo Anyway: What do the band and their music personally mean to you?
Chrysa Galinidou: I can talk about it for ages,really! But they are one of the biggest parts of my life they are a perfect soundtrack to it, to my idiosyncrasy. They are my meds for everything. Songs  that  I choose when I need them to ‘’cure’’ me when I’m down are like a strong drug to me. Every single riff, note, beat, sound of their music strikes me in a very cathartic way and kicks me off back to live… .
Don’t know if I would ever say that music can save your life and it is my best friend if I haven’t had came across them.
Placebo Anyway: Do you have a favorite song of the last album and also from the other ones?
Chrysa Galinidou: When I first heard the Scene Of The Crime I was so mesmerized by it that I was sure that it would be the best one from the album because I was thinking that it was perfect and they couldn’t do something more beautyfull that this, but I proved completely wrong and guilty for underestimating their endless creativity when I heared the Begin The End
I was so captivated by it that there had been weeks I had been listening only to it, countless times…I still avoid listening to the Bosco, it remains way too much touching for me and brings tears to my eyes. I can choose my fav from this album because it is ‘’new’’ and the sounds are keeping growing on me everyday till they will merge with the older ones and will add to the list of ‘’my fav songs’’.Till then talking about old stuff the only thing I can say is that my fav is The Crawl and all the others are my second fav ones.
Placebo Anyway: Define Placebo to someone who never heard about the band.
Chrysa Galinidou: Do you wanna listen to the reall music that deals with the full rage of human emotions,sure you do!Well go and listen to Placebo and you will find cure and a best friend that always is there for you when you need it.You will learn to comprehend yourself and music by going through their stuff.
Placebo Anyway: Define now  Brian, Stefan and Steve in three words dedicated to your Placebo soulmates.
Chrysa Galinidou: I would say a frase for each one but since you’re asking me words I would say God, King and the Sunshine hahaha that sounded like a title of a movie or a book lol  (Oh, talking about Steve when Steve was watching the show of the open act for them in Athens when he was on his way to go off stage heading backstage I shouted ‘’Come on Sunshine,come back !!!’’ and he smiled !!
Placebo Anyway: 20 years to go, 20 years to know. The band's 20th anniversary. What do you expect. For the band for the next 20 years?
Chrysa Galinidou: I expect them to make exactly what they are meant to be doing since the start of their carrier and surprise as with their captivating incredibly creative unique  sound, overwhelming performances, more interviews and of course to come more often in Greece, so we will show our gratitude with all love we got for them.
Placebo Anyway: Thank you for the interview Chrysa. It was a great pleasure doing this interview with you!
Chrysa Galinidou: Thank you too, Susanne and Diana it was my pleasure to share.

LLL Placebo European Tour Special 2014 – Interview with our soulmate Chrysa Galinidou from Greek in collaboration with Placebo Anyway.
Interview by SusanneCk Diana E.T.Foghin. 
Picture sources on Placebo Anyway albums and Chrysa Galinidou